About RPSI
Contact RPSI
Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

1). Who is the RPSI? Are Rheinland Pfalz-Saar and Rhinelander the same breed?
The Rheinland Pfalz-Saar International (RPSI) is the official North American extension of the German Verband, the Pferdezuchterverband Rheinland-Pfalz-Saar e.V. The RPSI and the Rhinelander registries are NOT the same, though their horses originated in neighboring breeding districts in Germany. The RPSI is open to horses from all German-recognized Warmblood registries, as well as Thoroughbreds, Arabians, Anglo-Arabians and Shagya Arabians. RPSI horses receive official passport-style registration papers from Germany, as well as a Life Number and brand, and are entered into the German database of sport horses (VIT).

2). What is a Zweibrücker?
Zweibrücker is the name of the breed of horse registered by the RPSI.

3). I'm registering my RPSI horse with USDF and USEF. Which breed do I select on their forms?

4). Why should I become a member?
In order to register a horse with the RPSI, or have your mare, stallion or foal inspected, you must become a member. To learn more about benefits of membership, visit our Membership Page.

5). How do I become a member?
Fill out a Membership Application and fax it to the RPSI headquarters at (605) 734-8060, or call the RPSI headquarters at (605) 669-2200 to apply over the phone.

6). Will I be eligible for USEF and USDF year end awards through RPSI?
Yes, though you must declare your horse's breed (Zweibrücker) and registry (RPSI) with both the USDF and USEF organisations (visit our Change of Ownership page for more information about declaring). Also, to be eligible for Hunter, Jumper or Eventing Awards through USEF you must fill out and send in our RPSI/USEF Performance Awards Application. For more information and the downloadable form please vist our Awards page.

Inspection/Registration Questions

1). Which breeds of horses do you accept?
Any Warmblood registered with a recognized warmblood breeding association, such as Oldenburg ISR, German Oldenburg Verband, Hanoverian, Holsteiner, Trakehner, Swedish Warmblood, Dutch Warmblood, Belgian Warmblood, sBs Registry, Westfalian, Rhineland, Bavarian, Baden-Wurtemburg. Thoroughbred (Jockey Club), Arabian, Anglo-Arabian and Shagya Arabian horses are also eligible for entry into the main breeding books. Pony breeds such as German Riding Pony, Welsh A, B, C or Cobs, Connemara, New Forest Pony, as well as Thoroughbred, Arabian, Anglo-Arabian, small Warmbloods, are eligible for the RPSI's Pony books. Draft crosses, Quarter Horses and other American breeds are eligible for recording into the Pre-Mare books, but the RPSI does not accept stallions of these breeds into its Stud Books.

2). I have a Quarter Horse/Appaloosa/Draft mare? Can she be inspected and entered into a mare book? What kind of papers will her foal get?
Yes, your mare can be inspected and her information entered into her foal's passport, as dam. This process makes her foals eligible for a Horse Identification Document (HID - white paper passport booklet and microchip instead of brand). If your mare is of sport type but missing some information on her heritage/pedigree, she may be eligible for the Pre-Mare book, and her foals would receive a Certificate of Ownership (COP - white papered passport and half-brand, which is the bridge without the crown on top). Half-branded foals are eligible for All Breeds Awards.

3). I have a mare who is papered by another registry. Do I need to have her inspected again by your registry?
Yes. Under German rules and regulations all horses to be entered into our various breeding books must be personally inspected by the German Judges at an RPSI inspection site.

4). What paperwork/documents do I need to bring to the inspection with my horse?

  • Warmbloods -- Original registration papers with one copy.
  • Thoroughbreds -- Jockey Club original papers plus a 4-generation pedigree (with one photocopy of each).
  • Foals at Mare's side -- A signed breeding certificate from the stallion owner/agent. Original and a copy of Mare's papers.
  • Weanlings and Yearlings -- The same as applies to foals, with the addition of DNA testing on offspring, sire and dam to prove parentage (Download our DNA Testing Form or call for more information)

5). Why is it necessary to DNA type my horse?
Weanlings (not suckling foals), Yearlings, Foals from dams who were bred by more than one stallion during a single heat cycle, foals conceived by frozen semen or embryo transfer, Unregistered horses who are in need of pedigree verification, and the Sires and Dams of such horses (if DNA is not already on file), will need DNA typing to prove parentage in order to receive registration papers.

6). How do I prepare my mare and foal for the inspection? Does my foal have to be halter broke?
Refer to our Inspections page for information on preparing for the inspection. Foals do not have to be halter broke if they are at their dam's side, although it does make the inspection process easier if they have been handled and are halter broke.

7). Do I have to bring my horse physically to the inspection? Can't you approve her by video?
No. German Verband laws require that all horses inspected into the RPSI books be physically inspected by the German Judge.

8). What papers will I get from the RPSI?
a). Foals will receive Official passport-style registration papers from the German Parent Verband, the PRPS
b). Mares and Stallions original papers will be returned to the owner the day of inspection. These papers will be stamped with the date, location and relevant mare or stud book, signed and notarized by the German judges, and then returned that day.
c). Yearlings will receive foal papers as described above, however DNA testing must be completed to prove parentage on the yearling, dam and sire. RPSI can assist you with the DNA testing process.
d). All inspected horses will receive an official stamped score sheet at their inspection. In addition, foals will receive their life registration number printed on this official sheet, which can be used in lieu of the official passport for all breed shows, Insurance forms, USDF and USEF paperwork, etc.

9). When will I get my papers?
Foal papers are processed in Germany by our parent registry. Upon receipt at our home office, we then turn around and mail them to the owner of the foal at the time of inspection. We make every attempt to send these foal passports in the first quarter of the following year.

10). What are the fees?
Refer to our Price List.

11). How do I change ownership?
You will need to send your horse's original registration papers (passport only - do NOT include the white Certificate of Ownership slip) to the RPSI Headquarters along with a copy of the bill of sale (price may be omitted), a Change of Ownership Form, and a check for $60.00. Upon receipt, we will return papers via priority mail.